Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Unreal Expectations

After reading pages 211-230 in the Reading Culture text, I must say that I agree with everything it states. This reading mainly focuses on the effects advertising makes on the world today and discusses how it creates unreal expectations mostly for women and somewhat for men, too. Nothing from this essay surprised me because I know that it has been an issue for my whole life. I personally hate the way magazines and advertising uses the skinny unrealistic girls or women for their photos. It makes the rest of the world feel bad about themselves and creates low self-esteem for women of all ages.
I personally have experienced a close friend who fell for all the ridiculous crap media tries to feed us. My close friend got caught up in her looks and impressing others by how she looks on the outside. She felt she needed to be skinnier to be pretty or to get attention from guys when in reality she was already one of the skinniest most in shape girls in school. But because of all the ads and pictures in magazines, she saw herself as ugly and not wanted by guys. In attempt to make herself better, she started eating less and working out more which led to an eating disorder called anorexia. Even though this wasn’t only caused by media’s messages, they still played a huge role in it. I will forever hold a grudge on advertising and magazines for encouraging women to torture themselves in numerous ways. My friend is only one of millions to do so. So I really take this topic to heart, and I thought it was interesting reading further into the intentions and specific details ads focus on. I really wish they would focus on all the details and encourage other things other than unhealthy lifestyles.

No comments:

Post a Comment